Additional Services

Community Association Law

The experienced attorneys at O’Kelley & Sorohan Attorneys at Law, LLC, can help you with every aspect of your community association. Georgia recognizes three kinds of community associations: Condominium Owner Associations, Property Owner Associations, and Common Law Homeowner Associations. The different types of community associations have different laws that apply to them. Whenever there is a dispute between a home owner and their community association, the first place to go is to review the Declaration of Restrictive Covenants for that neighborhood and see what laws and rules apply to the situation. Every homeowner’s association has individualized covenants and by-laws that apply to them and often there is no general solution to a problem.

If you are a new member of the Board of Directors of an association, learning the ins and outs of your community association can be difficult. We would be happy to review your governing documents and advise you during your transition to the board. Interpreting covenants and by-laws and applying those rules to real life situations with homeowners can be difficult. Let us advise you of the best way to handle the situations that come-up so that your neighborhood addresses problems the right way, the first time.

If you need to revise your covenants, we are happy to guide you through drafting the new provisions and the voting process, as well as ensure that your Declaration of Restrictive Covenants is recorded properly.

If you are a builder building a new community, let our team of attorneys in the Builder Services Group and the community association law group help create your community association. From forming the nonprofit company, running the community, and drafting your Declaration of Restrictive Covenants to transitioning the Board of Directors to the homeowners, we are here to help you. For more information on Community Association Law contact Brad Shilling.

Wills, Trusts & Estates

Philip O. Erickson heads the Wills, Trusts & Estates practice out of the firm’s main office. The firm advises individuals and families about wills and trusts, powers of attorney, and incapacity planning.  Our attorneys can prepare legal documents for you that outline your wishes regarding disposition of your property (real and personal), care of your minor children, distributions of your assets, and nomination of trusted persons to handle your estate and/or to manage your financial and healthcare interests should you be unable to speak for yourself.

Philip O. Erickson – Attorney
770.497.1880 ext 1168