Additional Services

Community Association Law

The experienced attorneys at O’Kelley & Sorohan Attorneys at Law, LLC, can help you with every aspect of your community association. Georgia recognizes three kinds of community associations: Condominium Owner Associations, Property Owner Associations, and Common Law Homeowner Associations. The different types of community associations have different laws that apply to them. Whenever there is a dispute between a home owner and their community association, the first place to go is to review the Declaration of Restrictive Covenants for that neighborhood and see what laws and rules apply to the situation. Every homeowner’s association has individualized covenants and by-laws that apply to them and often there is no general solution to a problem.

If you are a new member of the Board of Directors of an association, learning the ins and outs of your community association can be difficult. We would be happy to review your governing documents and advise you during your transition to the board. Interpreting covenants and by-laws and applying those rules to real life situations with homeowners can be difficult. Let us advise you of the best way to handle the situations that come-up so that your neighborhood addresses problems the right way, the first time.

If you need to revise your covenants, we are happy to guide you through drafting the new provisions and the voting process, as well as ensure that your Declaration of Restrictive Covenants is recorded properly.

If you are a builder building a new community, let our team of attorneys in the Builder Services Group and the community association law group help create your community association. From forming the nonprofit company, running the community, and drafting your Declaration of Restrictive Covenants to transitioning the Board of Directors to the homeowners, we are here to help you. For more information on Community Association Law contact Brad Shilling.

Family Law

What is family law?

Family law is the term for all types of law relating to a couple and their children. This includes divorce, child support or alimony enforcement (also called Motions for Contempt), and modification of child custody, visitation, and/ or child support. When two people who are not married to each other have children, the actions to determine child support and child custody and visitation are called “Paternity” and “Legitimation.” These actions can be filed as two separate actions, or together in one. Family law also includes adoption actions, child guardianship, motions for contempt, and domestic violence actions.

Do I need an attorney for my case?

Family law legal actions are very complex, emotionally-charged court actions. No matter what type of legal action you need, dealing with your ex- or soon to be ex- can be a highly stressful time. I can help you through the process and can diffuse a lot of your stress. While this may be your first court case, it is not my first case. I will make sure that you are well-educated on the law relevant to your case, and keep you fully informed, every step of the way. Let me do the worrying for you.

Why should I hire O’Kelley and Sorohan to represent me?

We are uniquely situated to best meet your needs. We have offices in Duluth, Cumming, Gainesville, Snellville, Peachtree Corners, Buford, and many other parts of Metro Atlanta to make meeting with you as convenient as possible. While my practice focuses in the northern metro counties such as Gwinnett County, Hall County, Forsyth County, and Jackson County, I frequently practice in all Metro Atlanta Counties. Our attorneys have over twenty years’ combined experience in representing clients in family law cases.

Why should I hire Dodie Sachs to represent me?

While I recognize that sometimes litigation is unavoidable, the best people to make decisions in family law cases are the parties themselves. I encourage settlement of family law cases when that approach is the best alternative, and I have the resources and experience to help you reach the best possible settlement for your case. When a hearing is necessary; however, I have the experience and knowledge of the law to be a zealous advocate for my clients. Contact me to help with your family law needs.

Wills, Trusts & Estates

Philip O. Erickson heads the Wills, Trusts & Estates practice out of the firm’s main office. The firm advises individuals and families about wills and trusts, powers of attorney, and incapacity planning.  Our attorneys can prepare legal documents for you that outline your wishes regarding disposition of your property (real and personal), care of your minor children, distributions of your assets, and nomination of trusted persons to handle your estate and/or to manage your financial and healthcare interests should you be unable to speak for yourself.